Your new carpet is a quality product that will add beauty and warmth to your new home. Caring for your carpet as early as possible, will prolong its life for many years to come. Proper care and maintenance is quick, easy and inexpensive.
Routine maintenance is essential in high traffic areas. 20% of the carpet receives 80% of the traffic. Three simple carpet-saving rules that help eliminate much of the preventible damage are; (1) Avoid soil accumulation, (2) vacuum regularly and (3) remove spills immediately.
- Avoid Soil Accumulation
Remove outdoor shoes and use walk-off mats at all entrances to keep soil from being tracked onto the carpet. You may also relocate furniture periodically to allow for even traffic distribution.
- Vacuum Regularly
Most soil, even dust, is in the form of hard particles. When left in the carpet, these gritty and sharpened particles abrade the pile as effectively as sandpaper. Regular and thorough vacuuming will remove them. Remember, frequent vacuuming cannot wear out your carpet, but soil can. Even with entry mats, eventually dirt and grit can become embedded into your carpet’s pile. When that happens, your carpet will become discoloured and matted. Up to 80% of the soil in carpet is of the dry particulate type that can be removed with a vacuum cleaner.
- Vacuum daily for high-traffic areas, weekly for light-traffic areas.
- A clean rotating brush power head vacuum with powerful suction is best for carpeted areas.
- Adjust the vacuum for the height of your carpet, as deep brush agitation may damage loop-pile Berber carpet. Avoid beater bars for loop-pile carpet. (A beater bar is a powerhead attachment used for enhanced carpet cleaning. It’s designed with either a motor or air-driven brush that lifts and pulls hair and dirt from deep within carpet fibers. Disengage the beater bar to allow for suction only).
- Check the vacuum bag regularly, and change it when it is half full for most effective cleaning.
- Replace worn belts and brushes in the maintenance cycle recommended by your vacuum manufacturer.
Depending on your personal lifestyle, professionally clean your carpet every one to two years and be sure to select a reputable company. To prepare, remove furniture if possible or use plastic protectors under legs to prevent staining from metal or wood finish degradation.
- Stain Removal
Method: Gently scrape stain ingredient with the blunt edge of a spoon starting from the outer edges of the spill and work toward the centre.
Apply: Any liquids should be applied to a clean white paper towel or cloth (never directly on carpet) to dampen the carpet. The carpet should never be wet through to the backing.
Blot: Blot by pressing straight down with a clean white paper towel – never rub as this may alter the carpet texture. Final blotting step is a ½” thick clean white paper towel placed on the clean spot with a weight and left overnight for absorption.
- Always try to scrape or blot excess spill
- . Apply cleaning solution (select from below) to a clean white cloth or paper towel
- Water – a mixture of 1 tsp of mild dish soap with 1 cup of warm water
- Vinegar – blot onto stained area. Blot finish with weighted ½” thick pile of paper towels overnight
The most important thing when removing stains on carpet is timing. Remove all spills immediately to reduce staining or discolouration. Follow our recommended Stain Removal methods for common household spills and soiling.
*Always test stain removal on a hidden area of the carpet for colour bleeding or colour loss.
- Clean your carpet BEFORE it looks dirty and frequently remove soil by vacuuming
- Use an entrance mat that is washable and clean it frequently so it maintains full otential of being a dust and dirt trap
- Restrict food and drink to non-carpeted areas when possible
- Regularly change air filters in heating and cooling systems
- Reduce sunlight exposure with window coverings to prevent fading
- Select carpet cleaning products carefully
Many household cleansers (even natural ones) that improve our daily lives, may cause secondary damage to our carpets. Depending on humidity and temperature conditions, these discolourations may not appear until several days or weeks after the carpet was exposed to the cleaning agent. The only way to protect your carpet is to take special precautions to prevent any contact. Always cover the carpet surrounding surface when spraying with household cleanser, watering plants, etc, as contact may result in discolouration of surrounding carpet.
Store Bought Carpet Cleaners
Your carpet has been selected partly because of its reduced impact on the indoor air quality of your new home; helping to reduce the VOC contaminants within your home. By taking the proper measures and making more informed buying decisions, you can continue to make your indoor environment a healthier one.
Three of our favourites are:
- Nature Clean Pet Stain & Odour Remover
- Simple Green “Naturals” carpet cleaner and
- Martha Stewart Clean Carpet Stain Remover
All given an “A” by Environmental Working Group
Professional Carpet Cleaning
When a question of maintenance or stubborn stain removal requires a professional or consultant; contact the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) for an endorsed professional cleaner at www.iicrc.org or (800) 835-4624.