Department: Innovation & Sustainability
Reports To: Director, Innovation & Sustainability
Job Classification: Full Time Permanent
Regular Hours: 9 AM – 5 PM (Monday to Friday)
Purpose of Role
Reporting directly to the Director of Innovation and Sustainability and working closely with the Project Management group, the Assistant Innovation & Sustainability Manager is responsible for the implementation and execution of strategies focused on enhancing and improving the Company’s approaches to construction, product design, and sustainable development. Working in collaboration with other key leaders, this role is responsible for seeking opportunities and implementing new practices that ensure Tridel delivers on its commitment to market leadership, being considered an environmentally ‘best-in-class’ company as well as early adopters of emerging sustainability practices.
The role also entails the coordination and management of specialized Building Systems (Mechanical, Electrical, Low Voltage Control Systems, Smart Home, Distributed Antennae Systems, WIFI, License Plate Recognition and other IOT devices).
To ensure the execution of short and long term functional plans in conjunction with the Innovation team by:
- Working closely with stakeholders to collect and translate market requirements into actionable engineering insights;
- Initiating, coordinating, and managing the implementation of programs related to product design, construction and sustainable development;
- Managing the overall portfolio of projects to ensure balance of near-term and long-term innovation plus alignment with project schedules to ensure inclusion;
- Researching emerging trends, practices and potential legislative changes that may influence annual plans and deliverables; and
- Collaborating with sales and marketing to ensure marketing materials are consistent with sustainability goals for each project.
To oversee and manage the sustainable development practices of the organization by:
- Identifying and developing approaches to respond to, or comply with, changing legislative requirements relating to sustainable development;
- Preparing all required sustainability reporting on behalf of the organization;
- Preparing and submitting all environmental assessment reporting documentation and managing all related projects from analysis through certification;
- Identifying and pursuing options for funding from government, education or other sectors that support research and experimentation with emerging technologies;
- Monitoring and coordinating measures to satisfy Toronto Green Development Standards for consistency; and
- Identifying and pursuing other certifications and awards that further the Company’s reputation.
To research, recommend and prepare technical briefs on emerging technologies and product design options by:
- Collaborating with external industry groups to understand available options as well as coordinating on site testing and piloting to assess suitability for Tridel’s needs;
- Analyzing and recommending approaches to achieve functional strategies and plans including developing detailed proposals including business case analysis;
- Providing expert knowledge around key aspects of building performance and sustainability to assist design/project teams; and
- Develop and maintain a database of products and technologies to be reviewed and tested.
To ensure the quality of output from all innovation and sustainability projects and programs by:
- Establishing meaningful metrics and controls to monitor and report on progress as well as outcomes;
- Overseeing deployment, employee training, integration, adoption and usage, as well as reporting on non-compliance; and
- Delivering on business plans and budgets including project milestones and metrics.
Skills & Expertise
- 3-5 years of experience in the construction industry
- Post-secondary degree in Engineering
- Knowledge of sustainability practices, environmental assessment methods and related government legislative requirements
- Basic understanding of building construction practices
- Budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting
- Strong organizational skills including planning, program development and execution
- Strong written and oral communication skills including the ability to present effectively to groups with various backgrounds and interests
- Analytical and process-oriented mindset
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Assistant Innovation & Sustainability Manager. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Tridel does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis covered by local law.
We are committed to employment equity. We encourage all people, including women, visible minorities, persons with disabilities and persons of aboriginal descent to apply.